July 22, 2013

The best day. Toronto Triathlon Festival 2013.

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

I had the privilege of competing with two of my fellow training partners, Katie Snowden and Suzanne Zelazo, and many colleagues over the weekend at the Toronto Triathlon Festival. 

Katie and Suzanne are both accomplished triathletes, they raise the bar of athletic excellence. Suzanne finished 2nd overall in the race, pulling out a gutsy finish on the run. Katie just ran a personal best at Ironman Brazil. I consider myself lucky to run with these women under Nicole Stevenson's Performance Running.

Many of my colleagues crossed the finish line for the first time with a clear purpose, a smile on their faces and a medal around their necks. The race was a celebration of what it took for many of them to register, train, jump into Lake Ontario and race their little hearts out.

I was also lucky to be reunited with Travis McKenzie, one of the most inspirational and hardest working athletes I've had the opportunity to know. Not only is he an incredibly gifted athlete, he is an exceptional friend. I can't wait to see what he does next. It's 'aloha' all the way to Ironman Canada for him.

Completing a triathlon is not about weight loss, it’s about living the best life you can. It’s about reaching fitness and race goals. It’s about stepping outside of your comfort zone. It’s about being the best version of yourself and inspiring your colleagues, friends and family to do the same.

I admire those who set goals, go after them and never look back. I’m proud to work and be friends with such a determined group of people. We’re doing great things together. Can't wait for what's next.