December 27, 2013

Running, by the numbers.

As 2013 comes to a close, I thought it would be fun to take a look back at my year of running using simple stats to mark improvements and set new goals for the next year and beyond. 

I changed my training a bit this year, I didn't run a marathon, I raced/trained on a track for six weeks in the summer, focused on shorter distances throughout the year, and ran less mileage. I raced more than I have in the past with both frustrating and disappointing finishes mixed in with a few personal best times and great experiences. I raced my second (ever) Olympic Distance triathlon in Toronto at the Toronto Triathlon Festival, a great event for both seasoned and beginner triathletes alike. I'm happy with my year in review and my new personal best times. I'm itching to run another marathon and a sub 36 minute 10km, and get faster overall! Onwards and upwards from here.

This year, I also began coaching athletes of my own to hit their running goals (three of whom qualified for the Boston Marathon under my online coaching/training plans). If you have the goal to run a half marathon or a marathon for the first time, qualify for the Boston Marathon or just simply alter your lifestyle, I'm happy to help.

What these numbers don't show is something I've come to learn and appreciate - expect anything worthwhile to take a long time. And that is why I train six days a week all year round with the occasional down week to recover and rest.

I love this message from Maria Popova at Brain Pickings.


And on that note, here is a look forward at my running goals and a look back at my progress over the past three years.

I hope that those who read this message find some form of inspiration to put on those old running shoes and head out the door for a walk, jog, run or sprint (should that be your poison).

Go for the gusto. Always.