July 1, 2014

Seven summer weekend lessons worth sharing.


  1. Allow yourself the uncomfortable luxury of changing your mind.
We entered the five-day weekend with no real agenda and came out with memories only summertime can create.

  1. Do nothing out of guilt, or for prestige, status, money or approval alone.
Good advice. Always. Living this way allows us all to live more fulfilling lives.

  1. Be generous with your time and your resources and with giving credit and, especially, with your words. 
Honoured that my oldest friend on earth, Natalie, extended her travels for a weekend in the city. I am so proud of her accomplishments with Ivivva and can’t wait to see what she does next.

Grateful that the Snowden’s welcomed us at their cottage to celebrate Canada Day. We live in one truly amazing country  - running up steep hills in the woods, waking up to the birds and rain is one way to recognize this.

If Toronto were a person, I would confess my love to them...I must credit this world-class city for offering such an abundance of culture and beauty.

  1. Build pockets of stillness into your life. 
Swimming and running provide this quite nicely.

  1. Maya Angelou famously said, ‘When people tell you who they are, believe them’. But even more importantly, when people try to tell you who you are, don’t believe them.
Thank you to Michael, Katie and Natalie for sharing their love for life with me this long weekend. It fuels me to be better and never stopping searching for the truth.

  1. Presence is far more intricate and rewarding an art than productivity. As Annie Dillard memorably put it, “how we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.”
Five days spent being present. It will never fail you. Try it sometime.

  1. Debbie Millman captures our modern predicament beautifully: “Expect anything worthwhile to take a long time.”
Amongst all of the fun, moments spent slowing down, running fast and swimming through lake water – I spent a great deal of time thinking about what my next steps will be, where they will take me and what is worth my energy. May we all find something worthwhile to fight for.

Shifting gears slightly, happy birthday to my mom...the smartest woman I know.

Happy July.