February 15, 2015

It’s a wild place, East Africa. Asante, Iten.

"The search is the meaning, the search for beauty, love, kindness and restoration in this difficult, wired, and often alien modern world. The miracle is that we are here, that no matter how undone we’ve been the night before, we wake up every morning and are still here. It is phenomenal just to be." -Anne Lamott

Daily rhythms are determined by the sun and the seasons. It’s a wild place, East Africa. If you have a suitcase, a passport, and sense of adventure, I highly recommend extended travel in this corner of the world.

This will be my last post from Kenya.

After almost five weeks of intense training at high altitude, I’m preparing for my final few days running on the legendary red dirt roads. Savour it, I will. It has been a journey of many miles to get to this point. Where do we go from here?

As I completed my run today, I looked up at the sign "WELCOME TO ITEN HOME OF CHAMPIONS", I couldn’t help but think “damn right”!

This particular run officially capped off a week that included mystical sunrise runs, my highest weekly mileage ever, and one epic workout on the iconic Kamariny Track.

It has been a bit of a BIG week.

Throughout East African society, ‘I’ and ‘me’ are very much out, while ‘our’ and ‘we’ are in. I have felt so much truth in this sentiment recently.

While I have been over here I have received so many notes asking for advice and guidance on running, life, relationships, and career stuff. On Friday, while I was doing ten "slope" repeats, with the thin air searing through my lungs, I was overcome with emotion and love. It’s just amazing how connected we can be and how much love we can give (and get) from the other side of the world.

With purposeful words of support, I have tried to help people who I coach, love deeply, known for years…find focus. Just as so many people have done for me on innumerable occasions during this journey.

When I arrived here seriously doubting what I was doing, my dad told me "it’s like you’ve gone from high school to the pros"...this was exactly what I needed to hear. He has always had this special way of giving the best advice or putting a tough situation in perspective. May we all surround ourselves with people who tell us the truth, help us find focus when we stray sideways, support our crazy choices, believe in our dreams, and know when to throw in a good joke.

"You are the mashup of what you let into your life." -Austin Kleon

Asante, Iten. It’s been a privilege. Life is one long run and you made it that much sweeter.

Next stop, the top of Africa and Tanzania!

Hard work. Full stop. On Kamariny Track in Iten, Kenya. You have to see it to believe it.
For the love of running…fast.
Feeling healthy, happy, and bloody grateful. I survived my first 100 mile week.
What my life looks like.
Look for beauty in the small moments. Africa, I feel your love. You have mesmerized me.